Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mistaken Identity

me, ten years ago
I think primarily because I have long hair (because if I'm in drab mode, I really don't think I look remotely feminine), I occasionally get called "ma'am" or if I'm with my wife, a server might ask what "you ladies" want for dinner.  I always get a bit of a thrill when that happens.  My wife, not so much.  We haven't gone out as two women yet, but it seems to bother her when I get mistaken.  She says it's not because she doesn't want to be seen as having dinner with another woman, it's that my being mistaken for one reflects the parochial and biased viewpoints of the people who can't comprehend a guy having long hair.  Now, I do live in a relatively conservative semi-Southern state, so that's not so far-fetched.  But I still think there is more to it than that.  I think she is still not ready (if ever) to be seen as a lesbian.  Personally, since we don't usually hold hands or kiss or snuggle up in public (because going to the grocery store or Target just isn't exactly romantic, duh) I would guess that the vast majority of people would just assume we were two female friends.  Well, I'm going to try and talk her into spending a day or so with my "viv" self in about 6 weeks when we are planning a short out-of-town trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment