Saturday, September 11, 2010

Grrls

cc-licensed by flickr user Jagrap
My entire childhood and teenage years, I was a classical musician.  I was immersed in it, I lived and felt it, and I loved it.  Still do.  However, as a pre-teen and teenager, I felt the pull of my friends' musical tastes and explored a rather wide range of musical genres.  I liked a lot of them, but one of the genres that really spoke to me were the girl rockers like Joan Jett, Patti Smith, and Chrissy Hynde to name just a few.  I think part of what struck me was the loud and brash passion and raw emotion coming from these women.  For me, who was hiding my inner female, and was extremely reserved and quiet as a gu, these hard rockin' women were something to aspire to (and pretend to be, when driving alone in my car with the radio up).  I still have a preference for female voices in most genres, actually.  I'm not sure if this subconsciously has to do with my gender identity issues, or if it's just an aural preference like any other person's musical preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment